With tons of social media sites such as Pinterest glorifying the “do-it-yourself” world, it is no surprise that everyone is attempting who knows what kind of DIY projects. Unfortunately, too many people get so caught up in the end result that they forget to take precautionary steps to make sure everything goes smoothly and ends safely. This causes a lot of people to sustain injuries from projects that could be easily avoided.
There are a lot of ways that you can help prevent yourself from becoming injured during your DIY project. Identifying them is the first step toward making sure that you stay as safe as possible. Here are a few of the most common injuries that are sustained from various DIY projects.
The Use of Power Tools
Sometimes injuries can be caused simply from the equipment that is being used. IN order to prevent these things it is important to be thoroughly educated on how each tool and piece of equipment works before trying to use it in a project. This will not only help the project to turn out appropriately, but also keep you safe.
- Ladders are ironically one of the highest injury-related objects in construction. Over 170,000 people are injured each year because of a ladder accident. Always be sure that you inspect ladders thoroughly before their use to ensure the highest safety and have someone help you as well.
- Tools are another big issue. Whether you are working on Siding Repair or Replacement, or Window Replacement and Installation, using the wrong table tools or hand tools in the wrong way can easily cause injury. Big saws and other power tools are dangerous without knowing how to use them, but even something as simple as a hammer can be dangerous without proper technique. Learn how to use equipment appropriately and do not operate anything heavy while on medication or alcohol.
Common Everyday Accidents
Other times, the injuries are caused simply from everyday common accidents or things done in an improper way. Being aware of these issues is one of the best ways to prevent them in the future.
- Sometimes, something as simple as lawn work can go awry if you don’t know how to utilize the lawn equipment.
- Even the simplest projects like Bathroom Remodeling, Interior Remodeling and Roofing can cause some of the worst injuries if you are not careful.
- The biggest key to making sure you stay safe during any DIY project is to be aware and educated on how things work, and also to have an extra pair of hands on deck at all times. Both of these practices can insure you stay safe and get work done.
As you can see, many injuries overlap in commonality with DIY projects. Whether you are looking for a complete Historic Restoration or a simple Kitchen Remodeling, you can take preventative steps to make sure that you don’t become another construction statistic. Being educated about processes and equipment is a great way to establish safety rules as well as make sure you are able to complete the project with as much success as you want.